Umbraco Accelerator - Scaling to Multiple Instances?

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM

One of the main advantages of hosting on Azure is the ability to scale to multiple instances to handle high volume (sustained or peaks) of traffic. Does the Umbraco accelerator support this? If so, what mechanism is used to synchronise the XML cache (contained in umbraco.config)?

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I'm also very interested in knowing whether multiple instances is handled by the Umbraco Accelerator. I have done a couple of tests launching umbraco sites with the Accelerator on multiple instances, but can't seem to get it to work. After deploying and when the instances are running I can enter the site althoght it doesn't seem to be fully functional (some assets seem to be missing / not loading), but in a majority of the times I enter the site I just get system-out-of-memory errors. When only using one instance the umbraco site runs fine.

Any clarification is appreciated.

Thanks

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I'm also eagerly waiting to know the answer to this questions!

EwaB

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:44 PM

AFIK, the accelerator only supports one instance because the Cloud Drive can't be mounted by more than one role at the same time -this is by cloud drive design. I haven't tested with more than one instance because I understand that it should be working with different snapshots of the VHD, so the content should be different also.

So you can scale to a smaller/bigger instance (ExtraSmall, Small, Medium, Large and ExtraLarge) with more memory and processor, but not to more instances. I think that the Umbraco accelerator is a tool for publishing sites that not require the SLA 99.99% (needs at least 2 instances running).

Umbraco has announced that they are working in the new version that has been redesigned to work in Windows Azure, without the accelerator limitations.

This is that I know. If you know anything else I would be very interested in, too.

Regards,

David Rodríguez